Web Apps on Cloud
Azure Web Apps is a service for hosting web applications, REST APIs, and mobile back ends. You can develop in your favorite language, be it .NET, .NET Core, Java, Ruby, Node.js, PHP, or Python. You can run and scale apps with ease on Windows or Linux VMs.
Azure Web Apps adds the power of Microsoft Azure to your application, such as security, load balancing, auto-scaling, and automated management.
Solution Characteristics and Business Benefits
Solution Reference Architecture
Solutions Component Details
This solution consists of the following Azure resources:
More information on resources
What is Azure Web App?
Azure Web App is a service for hosting web applications, REST APIs, and mobile back ends. You can develop in your favorite language, be it .NET, .NET Core, Java, Ruby, Node.js, PHP, or Python. You can run and scale apps with ease on Windows or Linux VMs.
Azure Web App adds the power of Microsoft Azure to your application, such as security, load balancing, auto-scaling, and automated management.
Why use Azure Web App?
- Multiple languages and frameworks
- Global scale with high availability
- Connections to SaaS platforms & on-premises data
- Security and compliance
- Application templates
- Visual Studio integration
- Serverless code
- New version deploy with no downtime
What is Azure SQL?
Azure SQL Database is a relational database-as-a service using the Microsoft SQL Server Engine. SQL Database is a high-performance, reliable, and secure database you can use to build data-driven applications and websites in the programming language of your choice, without needing to manage infrastructure.
Azure SQL Database delivers predictable performance at multiple service levels that provides dynamic scalability with no downtime, built-in intelligent optimization, global scalability and availability, and advanced security options — all with near-zero administration.
Why use Azure SQL?
- Adjust performance and scale without downtime
- Elastic pools to maximize resource utilization
- Availability capabilities
- Built-in intelligence
- Extensive monitoring and alerting capabilities
- Advanced security and compliance
- Easy-to-use tools
What is Azure MySQL?
Azure Database for MySQL is a relational database service based on the open source MySQL Server engine. It is a fully managed database as a service offering capable of handing mission-critical workload with predictable performance and dynamic scalability.
Develop applications with Azure Database for MySQL leveraging the open source tools and platform of your choice.
Why use Azure MySQL?
- Built-in high availability with no additional cost
- Predictable performance, using inclusive pay-as-you-go pricing
- Scale on the fly within seconds
- Secured to protect sensitive data at-rest and in-motion
- Automatic backups and point-in-time-restore for up to 35 days
- Enterprise-grade security and compliance
What is Azure Redis Cache?
Microsoft Azure Redis Cache is based on the popular open source Redis cache. It gives you access to a secure, dedicated Redis cache, managed by Microsoft and accessible from any application within Azure.
Microsoft Azure Redis Cache helps your application stay responsive even as user load increases. It does so by leveraging the low latency, high-throughput capabilities of the Redis engine. This separate distributed cache layer allows your data tier to scale independently for more efficient use of compute resources in your application layer.
Why use Azure Redis Cache?
Microsoft Azure Redis cache provides high throughput and consistent low-latency data access to power fast, scalable Azure applications.
- Fully managed
- High throughput
- Low latency
- High performance
- Highly secure
What is Azure Application Insights?
Application Insights is an extensible Application Performance Management (APM) service for web developers building and managing apps on multiple platforms. It includes powerful analytics tools to help you diagnose issues and to understand what users actually do with your application.
It’s designed to help you continuously improve performance and usability. It works for apps on a wide variety of platforms including .NET, Node.js and J2EE, hosted on-premises or in the cloud.
Why use Azure Application Insights?
Application Insights is aimed at the development team, to help you understand how your app is performing and how it’s being used. It can monitor:
- Request rates, response times, and failure rates
- Dependency rates, response times, and failure rates
- Page views and load performance
- AJAX calls
- User and session counts
- Performance counters
- Host diagnostics
- Diagnostic trace logs
- Custom events and metrics
Solutions Implementation Steps and references
- Create Resource Group
- Build an ASP.NET app in Azure with SQL Database
- Build a PHP and MySQL web app in Azure
- Build a Java and MySQL web app in Azure
- Integrate with Azure Redis Cache
- Monitor web app performance using Application Insights
Solution Reference Sizing
This solution has the following cost factors:
- Application Insights Basic Tier is Free of Charge (Details)
- Visual Studio Community Edition is Free and feature rich (Details)
- App Service has a Free Tier with lots of features (Details)
- There is a guide to calculate the DTUs of your SQL Database (Details)
- Azure SQL creates Free automatic geo-redundant backups (Details)
Indicative configuration and pricing summary:
*All prices shown are in Euro (€). This is a summary estimate, not a quote. For up to date pricing information please contact your local Logicom team.